By Scottie Rodgers
UPDATE: The Greater New York Chapter smashed its football game watch attendance record with 917 Alabama fans filling the four bars in Manhattan and Brooklyn for the LSU game. Check out the photo gallery for pictures from this historic day.
November 5, 2011.
The college football universe will be centered on Bryant-Denny Stadium on this day in a game that has been dubbed the "Game of the Century".
No. 2 Alabama vs. No. 1 LSU. Nick Saban vs. Les Miles. The Tide vs. The Tigers. BBQ vs. Crawfish.
The story lines are many. The hype is immeasurable.
What will be measured is this will be a record-setting day for the Greater New York Chapter with its largest game watch party undertaking ever.
MORE THAN 800 table reservations submitted. That's more than double our previous chapter record. Crazy.
Four great bars. Outstanding.
ESPN College GameDay gave college football fans a little insight into our UANYC game watching experience at The Ainsworth. But that is just one location in our LSU game watch party lineup that gives Alabama alumni Gotham's best game watch experience…bar none.
Those familiar with UANYC most likely already know The Hill, in its second season as a staple for our football game watch parties. The Hill became a chapter favorite earlier this year as the primary home for our basketball game watch parties and as the location of our highly-successful UANYC for Tuscaloosa fundraiser. The Hill is perfect place to meet friends….and support the Tide.
The Fulton is a new Gastropub in Manhattan's Financial District (FiDi). As described by UrbanDaddy.com, The Fulton "feels like a long-lost executive’s lounge from the 1920s" where the 35 flat-screen televisions are "invisible (except when they’re not)." The Fulton is a creation of the same people who brought us The Ainsworth. Enough said. Those joining the chapter at The Fulton can expect the same great Alabama atmosphere as at The Ainsworth and The Hill.
Lookout Brooklyn, the Tide is coming. In a one-time, extra special addition, UANYC is extending its game watch party options to Pub One in DUMBO. Pub One has 10 TVs inside and two more in its outside garden. Don't worry, Brooklyn Tide fans, we have already made sure that Pub One will have the same specials and music as the other three bars. So if you don't want to cross the bridge on Saturday, feel free to stop by Pub One and enjoy the big game with some Alabama friends.
Now some keys to your game day watching experience with UANYC:
- If you have a confirmed seat reservation, double-check your reservation location (The Ainsworth, The Hill, The Fulton or Pub One) before you leave home. We don't want you to show up at the wrong location and potentially miss the start of the game.
- If you do NOT have a reservation, please be aware that The Ainsworth and The Hill are booked solid. Word is both locations will be more packed than the 2009 national championship game. If you just want to show up and have a little room to enjoy the game, here's a hint: check out The Fulton.
- Whether you have a reservation or not, arrive early. Now, we're not talking about five hours early but maybe 30 minutes earlier than you normally would. This will ensure you get settled at your table and get some food and beverages ordered before kickoff.
- Also, please be patient when you are arrive at your designated location. To our game watch regulars, take the time to get to know the other Alabama fans who may be attending a UANYC event for the first time. Let's show them the southern hospitality, Big Apple-style, the chapter is known for.
- Be on the look out for our game watch captains -- Caroline Cooney and Elise Zieman at The Ainsworth, Julia Seong at The Hill and yours truly (Scottie Rodgers) at The Fulton. Our game captains will be on hand to welcome you and offer any guidance to help make sure your game watch experience with us is the best it can be.
- UANYC t-shirts ($20 for short sleeve, $30 for long sleeve) and koozies ($5) will be available for purchase at The Ainsworth, The Hill and The Fulton so bring a little extra $$$ so you can take home a piece of the chapter.
November 5, 2011 will be a historic day. We are so glad you have decided to share this day with us. Roll Tide!